Thursday, November 12, 2009

November 10

Merry Christmas?

As I was riding in the car with Emily and her dad, Juanito, a familiar tune came on the radio. For a moment I had to stop and think of what the tune was. Then it hit me…”Santa Clause is Coming to Town”. I sang along much to Emily and Juanito’s enjoyment I’m sure. The following song was “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree”, which I sang along with as well and reminisced about watching Home Alone 2. Now, I know these things sound like normal events to take place in November, however, here they seemed quite out of place in Yap. There is no Christmas music playing in the in all of the stores you go into. There are no big sparkly red bows hanging from the streetlights or the beginnings of Christmas cheer in people’s homes. And there is DEFINETELY not a slight chill in the air…in fact it is downright sweltering outside! Ok, maybe sweltering is a bit intense, but it is pretty darn hot!

Actually, one of the first songs I heard anyone sing here was a Christmas carol. “Jingle Bells” to be exact. I guess it does not have to be any specific time of the year to sing Christmas tunes, especially since the weather never really changes to make it seem like it is anything other then high summer.

It is strange to think that Thanksgiving is so soon and that Christmas and a new year are right around the corner. It feels like it is Florida summer here and that the holidays are months away. I will be in Woleai for Thanksgiving...and Christmas, and all of the holidays for the next 2 years, but that is not the point. This will be my first Thanksgiving away from family and friends and it is strange to think that there will not be a plump turkey on the dinner table along with cranberry sauce and mashed potatoes. Mmmm that sounds so yummy!

2 comments:

  1. well maybe there will be a nice fat pig, or fish, or maybe HUGE crab for you to eat! ;) I find that odd as well that they are playing that music over there...Christmas cheer started earlier this year (I think it starts earlier every year)...as soon as Halloween was over, lights, x-mas trees, songs, etc were EVERYWHERE the next day! NO JOKE! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya seriously....its elijah by the way.......haha

    ReplyDelete