Thursday, July 1, 2010

My 25th Birthday!

This has got to be the most memorable birthday I have ever and may ever have. On Thursday the 18th my fellow teachers told me we were going to have a meeting on Friday (my birthday) in the morning, but no school, to continue talking about graduation. I was really not looking forward to it because meetings here last for hours and I usually don’t understand a think they are saying anyways!

I woke up on Friday to my typical ocean shower, got ready for the day, and went to the cook house to get breakfast. I figured on eating some 4 day old breadfruit, but to my surprise there was fresh island style donuts and pancakes! They made them for my birthday which was really sweet of them to do that. I was then presented with 3 mwaremwares (leis) and off to the meeting I went. When I arrived at school people were waiting around for someone to say the meeting had started and during that time a few kids came into the office bringing me mwaremwares and wishing me happy birthday. I decided to wait in the library and find a book to read during the meeting when all of a sudden every one came in singing happy birthday to me and presented me with TONS of mwaremwares! I was covered in terrible perfume, baby powder, and turmeric (yes the cooking spice) and my students gave me all kinds of fruit and food and EGGS!! I was overwhelmed and overjoyed beyond words. I felt so blessed and lucky to have so much birthday love! As we sat and I expressed my thanks the women told me that the meeting was now over! They had tricked me and got me to come to school under the pretext of a boring meeting! They were very good liars, but I guess it is a lot easier to keep that secret when I don’t understand what they say to each other!

It didn’t stop there though. Later that afternoon one of my students came to get me and brought me to a family that I have come to feel is my second family on Falalop. The mother, Sophia, presented me with a new lavalava, covered me in turmeric (again!) and gave me a tupperware full of donuts, breadfruit, and a whole chicken (they killed a chicken for me!). I really love this family and feel so welcomed and loved by them. This whole day was wave after wave of love from everyone here. Throughout the day kids came up to me shaking my hand and wishing me happy birthday while handing me eggs, coconuts, and mwaremwares. Father Ken also announced that it was my birthday at the evening mass so everyone in church sang happy birthday to me. What a way to celebrate a quarter of a century!!!

Not your typical birthday gifts:
-7 eggs
-2 papayas
-2 bunches of bananas
-1 banana the size of my arm
-5 coconuts
-a box of fried breadfruit chips
-lots of donuts
-a whole cooked chicken
-a new lavalava
-perfume, baby powder, and turmeric
-39 mwaremwares
-3 pig tusks (two are on a necklace)
-1 max instant coffee mix
-2 birthday songs
-lots of hand shakes
-love, love, and more love!

All in all my birthday was the most beautiful day I have experienced. I received so much today, not only physically but emotionally. All of the love and generosity I received is a true sign that I am accepted in this community. I feel that I am making an impression on their lives as they are making one on my heart

I also want to thank everyone that sent me letters and packages for my birthday. I got them in April, but loved them all the same!! A train of about 7 kids brought them to my hut one day and it was so wonderful to hear from home! THANK YOU!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment