Thursday, October 8, 2009

September 9: Day 8

Training so far is going well! It has moments that are really boring and I feel as though I am not really capable of everything they want. There is a ton that goes into working with the community and making positive change. It is definitely going to be a challenge! I’m sure that with time and more training I will feel better equipped to go into a village and help them they way Peace Corps would like me to.
I almost feel over stimulated. I have people around me constantly. I have to pay attention to lectures, stay mentally awake, and I am constantly thinking about what I am going to put for my site placement preferences! That is a really big one right now! I spoke with the Programs Advisor (PA) for Yap, Regina, to try and get a better feel for what Yap’s outer islands are like. There is one specific island that I am interested in called Woleai (wol-ee-eye). It is the most outer of the outer islands. There is no internet or phones on the island and mail only comes about once a month. So, I would not have a whole lot of communication with the US. There is also the factor of dress. Women wear only Lavalava’s (hand woven skirts that I would get to learn how to make) and no tops! Of course, I would have to do that too out of respect for their culture! I’m not so sure I could do that! EEK!
But those are, as far as I can see, the only negative aspects about Woleai. I will just have to think about this for a bit and see if I could handle those challenges. I mean I’m sure I would have no problem handling them…just do I want to?

No comments:

Post a Comment