Monday, January 11, 2010

Invade my house and be eaten! - November 22

So, I finally got Gwen to come look at the crab and she got all excited and called Simion over. I guess they thought I was just joking about the crab! Simion came and looked at the crab, grabbed a big stick, knocked the crab from my ceiling, and said dinner!

Apparently, it was a coconut crab which just happens to be one of their favorite things to eat! My mom cooked it up and we ate it for dinner. Just like that! I was a little nervous to eat it because of my aversion to crabs, but Bibianna picked all of the meat out of the claws for me and it was actually quite delicious! I am hoping that all crabs take note of this event and learn to stay out of my hut! Invade my house and you will become dinner!

Nelson

As I was slumbering peacefully last night I felt a hand touch mine. I awoke to a man waking me up telling me that he wanted to talk. I immediately realized that I must have failed to lock a door and a “ninja” had found his way in! I quickly backed up and told him to get away and get out and I kept pushing his hand away. Then, I grabbed my flashlight and shined it on him. He must night crawl a lot because he strategically shined his light into my face so that I could not see him and left. All I saw were his gray shorts. I told my family in the morning about my visitor and they insisted that Gwen sleep with me for the next few nights, which is fine with me! My mom also told me that if it happens again I just need to yell her name really loud and she will come running and chase the ninja away. I believe her too!

Later that afternoon, they said they knew who came to visit me. It was an elementary school drop out named Nelson who is known to make unwanted visits to women. Apparently he had drunk to much Faluba (fermented coconut that gets you really drunk. Only the men are allowed to drink it) and thought it would be fun to check out the new girl. I have definitely learned my lesson and will be locking ALL of my doors from now on. I am not really scared at all though. I just do not want to deal with creepy drunk men. I also think it is a bit silly that they think they can just go into someone’s house while they are sleeping and wake them up and that be ok! Do they think that the girl is actually going to want to talk? This is definitely a culture thing that I am not going to embrace!

For those of you who are now scared for my safety, please do not worry. People here are pretty harmless and if anything serious happened my family would take care of it. This was really more of a funny thing that made me stop and say only in Micronesia.

No comments:

Post a Comment