Monday, January 11, 2010

Noodles? - November 25, 2009

So, I just ate something really interesting. It’s called “flowa”. That just meants the main ingredient is flower. Many things are called “flowa” here. Actually the recipe is as follows:

1. Tons of flower (white of course!)

2. Water (however much you feel you need)

3. Lots of sugar (about 2/3 bag)

4. Coconut milk (when I say this I mean gather older coconuts, husk, open, and grate by hand. Then mix with water and squeeze milk out. This is the land where you fine peoples canned coconut milk comes from!)

Mix all of these ingredients together to make a dough consistency and then roll into little pieces. Place those pieces in a big huge pot ½ filled with coconut milk (prepared island style). Place the pot over a fire made with coconut husks and cook for a while.

I am not completely sure how to tell when it is done. If you ask e it was not done. Maybe it’s done when it’s not done. Anyways, when it is done schlop a bunch of strange shaped “flowa” on your place, put a little soy sauce on top and eat it with your fingers! Bon Apatite!

Now I know you all are going to go and make this for dinner tonight, but I suggest you don’t. it’s really only good when you have gone half crazy from living on an island and anything that is not preserved bread fruit (Mar) is a treat!

On a realistic note “flowa” fixed this way vaguely resembles fat noodles that are not cooked all the way. Actually they taste like noodles after I put soy sauce on them . before soy it was like eating semi sweet slimy dough-still better than Mar.

As I was sitting by the fire moving my feet every 5 seconds to keep the flies from collecting on my ankles, I imagined eating flowa with spaghetti sauce and garlic bread. I laughed at myself for thinking such a thought. What I would give to have a pasta dinner at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment